Family Mountain Vacations
As the weather warms and traveling is on your mind, consider taking the family on a mountain vacation. There are plenty of mountainous destinations around the country that provide beautiful weather and breathtaking scenery along with luxurious accommodations and nightlife. But don't worry — these destinations can also make great kid-friendly mountain vacations, with an array of outdoor activities like hiking, mountain biking, fishing, swimming, golfing, boating and more.
Located in New York's Adirondack Mountains, Lake Placid is a village near the lake of the same name. With millions of acres of land, the Adirondack region is the largest protected area in the contiguous United States, boasting over 2,000 miles of hiking trails and over 1,200 miles of rivers. Lake Placid hosted the Winter Olympics in 1932 and 1980 and offers a diverse range of activities for a mountain vacation with kids.
From incredible hiking in the Adirondack High Peaks to boating and fishing in beautiful lakes, a vacation at Lake Placid provides many opportunities to enjoy nature with the family. Lake Placid is also an excellent place to dine, shop and explore a brimming arts-and-crafts scene. Here are some of the best activities to do at Lake Placid:
- Hiking: The scenic hiking trails around Lake Placid wind through forests, summits and breathtaking waterfalls. The diverse array of trails offers something for everyone, whether aspiring or avid hikers.
- Fishing: The region around Lake Placid offers over 3,000 freshwater lakes, rivers, ponds and streams. The Ausable River is a renowned location for fly fishing — its fast-moving waters are perfect for angling from spring through fall. For spin-casting, head to the lake for bass, perch, trout, smelt and salmon.
- Whitewater paddling: Lake Placid is one of the country's favorite whitewater paddling destinations. The thrill of the moving water, the scenic views of nature and wildlife, the abundance of camping and picnic spots and the availability of waterside lodging options all make an unforgettable experience.
- Dining and shopping: Lake Placid features a diverse food scene, including Adirondack-style barbeque, comfort food, farm-to-table and gourmet innovation. The village also offers a unique shopping experience. Browse Adirondack keepsakes, bath and body products created by local artisans and an eclectic selection of local, vegan treats.
If Lake Placid sounds like a perfect mountain getaway for the family, consider staying at the luxurious Lake Placid Lodge. This waterfront resort is rated among the top resorts in the Northeast and is sure to help you and your family enjoy your vacation.
Sun Valley, Idaho
Sun Valley, Idaho, is great for adventure-loving families and gives you the opportunity to both experience nature and rest in the lap of luxury. Open spaces, biking and hiking trails and expansive rivers abound at this mountain destination, and there's plenty to do, like:
- Hiking: At Sun Valley, you'll have the option of both short backdoor hikes and longer backpacking treks over multiple days. The surrounding mountain ranges, including the Smoky, Boulder and Pioneer Mountains, make for unique hiking experiences with plenty of wildlife sightings. You also have the option of guided trips and shuttles to your favorite trailheads.
- Dining: If you have a love for local, organic and sustainable food, Sun Valley is sure to please your palate. To kickstart the morning, head to a coffee or pastry shop. After an exciting day of outdoor adventuring, Sun Valley's nightlife locales offer decadent dining options like fondue, steak and sushi.
- Exploring arts and culture: Sun Valley also features a vibrant, small-town art scene. Visit museums and galleries, performing arts showcases, film festivals and music concerts, all in Sun Valley's beautiful mountain setting.
Sun Valley offers lodging options for all preferences, from the iconic Sun Valley Lodge to condos, cottages and inns. No matter your needs, you can find the perfect place to stay with the whole family.
Sitting against the Tennessee side of the Great Smoky Mountains, Gatlinburg has ample opportunities for outdoor fun. Like the mountain destinations above, Gatlinburg offers hiking, biking and fishing, as well as exciting nightlife and a rich arts and entertainment scene. Here are some of the top things to do in Gatlinburg:
- Zip lining: Taking the family on a zip lining trip allows everyone to see the mountains from a new perspective. Whether you've zip lined before or are looking for an exciting new experience, the Smoky Mountains offer a family-friendly zip lining experience that's sure to take your breath away.
- Whitewater rafting: Just a few minutes away from the rapids, Gatlinburg is a great place to start a whitewater rafting adventure. Kids love whitewater rafting and no experience is necessary, as Gatlinburg offers a diverse array of rafting adventures for you and your family.
- Enjoying arts and entertainment: The Smoky Mountains' rich culture and scenery have inspired artists and artisans throughout history. On your vacation to Gatlinburg, you can enjoy a unique arts-and-crafts community, live music scenes and a plethora of local restaurants and bars.
For lodging in Gatlinburg, enjoy awe-inspiring views and ample amenities at the Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Water Park. With spas, restaurants, mini golf, an indoor water park and other amenities, the resort offers something for everyone.
With alpine blue waters and expansive mountain peaks, the Sierra Nevada landscape around Lake Tahoe is a splendid backdrop for the best mountain vacation for kids. Lake Tahoe offers luxurious lodging, outdoor adventures, music festivals, fine dining and other adventures. For an unforgettable mountain vacation, here are some of the best things to do at Lake Tahoe:
- Boating: Lake Tahoe boating offers splendid views of one of the largest alpine lakes. With public and private piers and bustling marinas, boating at Lake Tahoe is perfect for your boat-loving family.
- Relaxing at spas: On top of stunning natural beauty and outdoor adventures, Lake Tahoe also provides wellness and relaxation. Enjoy massages, day spas and yoga while taking in the views of the peaks.
- Exploring nightlife and entertainment: After a day of outdoor activity, continue the adventure with nightlife at Lake Tahoe. Concerts and craft breweries allow you to live it up while on vacation in the mountains. For kid-focused entertainment, look into adventure courses and festivals in the area.
There are plenty of excellent lodging options for your family holiday at Lake Tahoe. For an upscale and family-friendly stay with exclusive waterfront access, book a room at The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe.
Travel to Your Family Mountain Vacations With GrandView Aviation
Whether you want to relax in indoor luxury or pursue an exciting adventure in nature, a mountain vacation has just what you need. You can enjoy spending quality time with the family while surrounded by fresh air, upscale accommodations and endless natural beauty. To eliminate extra hassle from your travels, consider a personal and reliable flight with GrandView Aviation.
Our on-demand services will take you on a private charter to your family mountain vacation. Trust our safe fleet to start and end your getaway right. Enjoy best-in-class performance as you relax in our luxurious, spacious cabins, which offer generous baggage space and inflight gourmet catering options.
Request a quote on your private jet charter flight today and begin planning your mountain escape.